Congratulations, first of all, to all the Pike County voters that braved ugly weather to come out and cast their vote. Thank you! Second, congratulations to all the Democratic candidates. Every one of them worked hard to win their race.
Local Democrats were successful in many of their races. For the first time anyone can remember, Democrats were elected mayor of Milford Boro and to the Board of Supervisors in Lehman Township. Sean Strub won convincingly in Milford and Terry Laino is the newest supervisor in Lehman Township. Frank Taraquinio also won reelection to his seat on Milford's Borough Council.
James Pellachia, Joyce Morgan, Mark Madsen, Joseph Sain, Bonnie Vanwhy Wargo, and Jane Drake also won their respective races.
Some of our candidates did not win, but they'll get 'em next time! We owe them a big "thank you" for running!
Democrats also have much to celebrate statewide and nationally:
- Democratic Judges Maria McLaughlin, Debbie Kunselman, and Carolyn Nichols won seats on the state Superior Court. The fourth seat is still too close to call.
- Justice Debra Todd won retention and is in line to become the next Chief Justice of the PA Supreme Court.
- An activist civil rights attorney, Larry Krasner, won the DA race in Philadelphia.
- Judge Ellen Ceisler won a seat on the Commonwealth Court
- Ralph Northam won the Virginia governor's race and Phil Murphy took a New Jersey governor's office that had been in Republican Chris Christie's hands for eight years. Across the map, in mayoral contests, state legislative races and ballot measures, everything broke Democrats' way.
- SLATE OF 8: Although we didn't sweep the slate, 5 out of 8 is not bad (considering we were outspent nearly 3 to 1). Not only did we help elect stellar jurists, we also sealed a moment in history... our own Debra Todd will now shatter one historic glass ceiling by becoming the first woman to serve as Chief Justice of the Pa Supreme Court, the oldest court in the country. Took long enough, but we all got it done! Can you hear that smashing/shattering glass sound???
- ERIE County: So much for the bold prediction made in the New York Post (Selina Zito) that the Republicans were poised/going to win the City of Erie mayor's seat for the first time in over 50 years.... and for the wasted money dump (close to half a million dollars) from the likes of Scott Wagner and other Republican special interest groups who watched their hopes and money go down the drain. Huge wins for Kathy Dahlkemper (Erie County Executive) and Mayor-Elect Joe Schember. Way to get it done Erie County!!!
- DELAWARE County: Delaware County Democrats were elected to countywide seats for the first time since home rule was enacted (over 140 years.) We won 2 seats on the County Commission and 3 Row offices. The Delco red wall is now more than cracked, it's starting to crumble!
- CHESTER County: Chester County Dems swept their Countywide Row Offices and did it with 5 women. Watch out for that falling glass!!!
- BUCKS County: After HUGE grass-roots/door-to-door efforts throughout the summer leading up to Election Day, the Bucks County Dems shocked them all by winning 4 out of 5 of their Countywide Row Offices.
- MONTGOMERY County: As hard as it is to imagine, the mighty Montgomery County Dems got even stronger this election cycle by winning both countywide judicial seats and had staggering & significant victories in townships, boroughs and school districts across the board.
- CENTRE County: Not only did Centre County stay "blue" but they pretty much swept EVERY race on the board. In many ways Centre County Dems are the benchmark of what a successful County Committee organization looks like. We can all learn from their many examples.
- LACKAWANNA County: Beside beating back a serious challenge for the Mayor of Scranton's seat (we won that) Lackawanna County will now have a Democratic DA for the first time in over 50 years!
- NORTHAMPTON County Dems: Not only did we take the County Executive seat we also won 4 out of 5 County Council seats.
- LEHIGH County: Our other county in the Lehigh Valley, Lehigh County also picked off the County Executive seat and 2 County Council seats to go with it.
- LANCASTER County: With a strategic & focused approach and a commitment to fill Committee slots throughout the year (which helped cover polls all across the county,) Lancaster not only crushed it in the city but had eye-opening victories at the local level in "blood red" districts throughout the county. Lancaster is quickly becoming the land of "anything & everything is possible" when it comes to winning elections.
- WESTMORELAND County: Specifically- Monessen, Pa... Note to self, a "Democratic" Mayor should never ever invite someone like Donal Trump to this long-time Democratic city... it won't work out well for you. Proof in point, newly elected Mayor-Elect Matthew Shorraw.
Now the work begins for 2018. We've got the Governor's mansion, a US Senate seat, a seat in the House of Representatives, and seats in the State legislature, to win next year. Your involvement and support will be essential to ensure our success.
Chair, Pike County Democratic Committee