Pike County Democratic Committee
To leverage universally accepted and historically proven Democratic principles, respecting and valuing differences among our fellow citizens and working together to perpetually identify, recruit, cultivate, inspire and support voters, volunteers and candidates for local, state and federal elected offices.
Message from our Chair
Welcome to the Pike County Democratic Committee (PCDC) website. I hope you visit here often. My name is Bruce Taylor and I am honored to serve as Chair of the PCDC.
The Democratic Party believes that in a good society each of us should have personal security, useful skills, and the opportunity for service to others. Achieving that good society requires a citizenship open to all with the will to reach agreement through a fair and accessible democratic process.
SECURITY The good society provides for the security of everyone. Democrats believe that people will make better decisions if they do not have to fear devastating losses and will be free to take the risks necessary to sustain a vibrant, free-market economy. The folks on the right cry "socialism" and the "nanny state" are sucking the "47%" of "takers" into hapless dependency. Yes, life's challenges can inspire creativity and require responsibility, but chronic insecurity cripples the spirit, weakens trust, and opportunities go unrealized.
SKILLS The good society makes sure that all its citizens are educated, trained, and retrained to fulfill their potentials in a rapidly changing economy. These include academic, technical, imaginal, interpersonal and leadership abilities.
SERVICE The good society makes it possible for each one of us to be successful in serving others. While we are individually responsible for preparing ourselves for work and the private sector is the engine of economic growth that provide jobs, we also need strong public institutions that move us to full employment. Service, of course, must be compensated so that we all can receive full value for our work with government doing its share through appropriate tax and regulatory policies to make that happen.
CITIZENSHIP The good society places a high value on full acceptance of all of us into the interrelationships of everyday life; race, gender, age, faith, ethnicity, physical handicaps should not be barriers to participation. And that spirit of acceptance should apply to immigrants who infuse our society with new energy, skills, and culture. Nor should any party conspire to block the full participation of anyone in the democratic process so fundamental to our national identity.
How well have our leaders in Harrisburg and Milford moved us in the direction of the good society here in Pike County?
Security? Endangered! We need to
* Pressure banks and government to reduce the foreclosure rate.
* Demand better regulation on fracking to protect our water quality.
* Fight the Tennessee Gas pipeline loop 321 planned through Milford and Westfall.
* Demand our Governor implement the Affordable Care Act's health insurance exchanges and expand and the Medicaid program.
Skills? Governor's budget guts education! We need to
* Demand adequate funding especially for poorer districts.
Service opportunity and pay? Weak! We need to
* Make our government accountable for the near 10% unemployment rate in Pike County.
* Fight regressive sales taxes and proposed gasoline taxes.
* Demand PA corporations pay their taxes instead of escaping through the Delaware Loophole.
* Demand and end to tax breaks for drilling companies.
Citizenship? Threatened! We need to
* Fight voter suppression though the ID requirements law.
* Fight the plan to change the Electoral College voting rules to benefit the GOP
And let's get to work to defeat Corbett, Brown, and Peifer in 2014!
DEMOCRATS: MOVING AMERICA FORWARD